Today, organizations, businesses or every home have the need to connect to the internet, sharing information and data between many different devices. Especially, businesses always need a local area network system to communicate information between departments. So What is LAN?, how does it work and what are the benefits? Let’s learn about LAN with BizFly Cloud!
What is LAN?
LAN (stands for Local Area Network (local area network) is a system that allows devices such as computers, smartphones, tablets, printers, etc. to connect and share information and data with each other in a limited space through a wireless network. (wifi) or network cables (cable). Because this type of network only helps connect devices in small spaces such as schools, businesses, houses, etc., it is considered a type of intranet.
You are watching: What is Lan?
In addition, the concept of wifi is already so familiar to us, devices that are connected to each other through wifi will be called a wireless LAN system –Wi-Fi (Wireless Local Area Network).
What are the components of a LAN?
A local area network system seems simple but consists of many components. So the components in the structure What is LAN?
– Server device (server): is the main device of the network, helping to manage the connection, sharing information between components in the system… However, in some cases, all devices have the same rights, so there will be no computer. owner.
– The workstations (clients): are devices that are connected to each other and are managed by the server.
– Network Interface Card (NIC): is a component that helps to transmit and receive network signals for devices in the LAN system, helping them to communicate and transmit data with each other. The network card consists of a signal transmission controller and a transceiver that converts data to signal and vice versa. The network card is located in the slot of the computer mainboard and is usually built into today’s laptops.
– Network cable (cable): is the means of signal transmission between devices in the system. LANs usually use two types of cables, coax and twisted pair.
– Repeater: is a device that amplifies the signal and helps it to be transmitted further than the original signal. In a local area network, the transmission limit is usually only 100m, but a repeater can help it overcome this limit.
– Hub: is similar to a repeater but has more ports, helping to amplify the signal from one port to many different ports.
– Bridge: is a device that helps to connect two different networks into a single network.
– Switches (switches): is a device like a bridge but has many ports to help link many segments together.
– Router (router): is a device that helps transfer data packets to an internetwork and to terminals, through a routing process. Routers help link different LANs even at long distances.
See also: What is Thunderstorm – What does Thunderstorm Mean in English
– Gateway: is a device that helps connect networks with different protocols together.
What are the reasons to use LAN?
Local area networks are frequently used in organizations, businesses, game rooms and homes to connect devices together. So the use of What is LAN?
– Helps to store data centrally, easily connect and share information and data between many different devices in the network. Moreover, you can also use one computer to control the rest of the machines on the LAN.
– Allow sharing of resources: workstations in the system can easily connect and share peripherals such as printers, CD drives, etc. This saves and increases operational productivity for organizations. , enterprise.
– Help back up and manage confidential data securely. LAN provides users with a centralized security system, helping to control access to their systems.
– Hardware of standard equipment is also used for workstations (clients) and network servers. This gives you design flexibility and ease of maintenance.
– Devices in the same LAN can use the same system applications.
– Support fault tolerance, reduce downtime for businesses…
What are the LAN topologies?
Cool StylesTopologyof a LAN is the structure, layout and interconnection of elements in that network. There are quite a few layouts, and here are a few common patterns:
– Star topology: includes a central server and workstations (clients) or other devices that are information nodes of the network system. The central machine plays a key role in controlling all activities in the system, such as informing about local network status, monitoring information exchange between devices. When there is a failure of a communication node, the system still works normally, but when the central device fails, the whole system is “on the way”.
– Routing network (linear bus topology): is a LAN model in which computers are connected together on a main cable backbone, the two ends of which are covered by a terminator device. This model is easy to install and saves cable length. However, it is also easy to cause traffic congestion when the data is too large.
– Ring topology: is a local area network model where devices are arranged in a closed circle. The transmitted signal will only travel in one fixed direction. Only one device can communicate through another node at a time. Therefore, when the signal is blocked at a certain node, the whole system will fail. However, this model also saves wires and increases network scalability.
Above are some basic knowledge to know about local LAN. Hope the article has helped you understand what a LAN is, what its components are and how it benefits. Follow BizFly Cloud to stay up to date with the best tech articles!
According to BizFly Cloud find out
BizFly Cloud is a low-cost cloud computing service provider, operated by VCCorp.
BizFly Cloud is one of the four core businesses in the “Campaign to promote digital transformation using Vietnamese cloud technology” of the Ministry of Information and Communications; fully meet all criteria and technical criteria of the cloud computing platform serving e-government/e-government.
See also: What Module Means
Readers interested in BizFly Cloud solutions can visit here.
TRIAL FREE and GET 3 MONTHS OFFER at: manage.bizflycloud
Previous articleWhat is a switch layer 3? Should buy it or switch layer 2 for local area network (LAN)?
Next articleOnline learning explodes, infrastructure is difficult to meet, schools look to cloud computing services to save them