Mr. Duy TOEIC answered 4 years ago
• Brief explanation: always and regularly both can mean “regularly”. But in TOEIC regularly The vast majority are used to describe actions that mean “increasing/decreasing” such as increase, grow, fall, decline, …
→ Select (A) always
• Thorough explanation:
Steadily means “even”. It is used to describe an action or property that changes gradually and at a constant rate. For example:
○ Sales have increased regularly since January.= Sales have increased even from January.
You are watching: What is Steadily?
(gradually increasing and increasing at a constant rate)
○ His health got regularly worse.= His health increasingly worse.
(gradually worse, and worse at constant rate)
Or it is used to describe an action or a property that does not change and is not interrupted. For example:
○ The rain fell steadily..= Rain falls even.
See also: What causes my computer to be bottlenecked?
(continuous and unceasing rain)
We see that it must always describe an action or a property that takes place continuously, over a long period of time.
Meanwhile, in the sentence you posted above, the nature late from work (delay) is not a long-lasting feature. We’re only late when we get to work, and then we’re not late again. So we don’t use (B) for this sentence.
See also: What does Ad stand for?
When we say “always late”, we mean that we are late today, late tomorrow, late tomorrow, etc. That is, “always late”. To express an action or a quality that is “always the case”, we can use always.
○ Any employees who are always late…= Any employee who is late regular…= Any employee who continuity be late…